6 - 8pm, Thursday 1st Sep
Ed Merlin Murray - Football and Religion: Tales of Hope, Passion & Play
Presented by the Aga Khan University’s Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations (AKU-ISMC) and the Aga Khan Centre Gallery, this exhibition explores the relationship between football and religion and how the two are often connected, with players praying on the pitch and fans observing religious rituals in tandem. The wider narrative across the exhibition examines football’s ability to champion social causes, promote marginalised voices, and create opportunities for inclusion and diversity in ways no other sport can.
- Kevin Coleman: Formerly of Brentford FC and Kick It Out (Chair)
- Ed Merlin Murray: Visual artist and animator
- Karshima Inayat: Gilgit Girls League Pakistan
- Dr Zafar Iqbal: Head of Sports Medicine, Crystal Palace FC
- Matt Baker: Director of Sports Chaplaincy UK and Chaplain for - - Charlton Athletic FC
- Linvoy Primus: Former Portsmouth and Charlton FC
- Yasmin Abukar: Founder Sisterhood FC
The exhibition provides a narrative on the subject through a snapshot of social history and contemporary commentary with a selection of books, magazines and newspaper articles, relevant objects, and artefacts. This narrative provides the contextual backdrop for a series of new artworks created by visual artist, illustrator, and animator Ed Merlin Murray.
King's Cross 10 Handyside St, N1C 4DN